So you started blogging, or you want to start, but you need motivation. After plugging away at this blog for the past 2 years here are my motivating tips.
1. Find a Muse and just write a lot Do you have a business? Do you have a lot of clients and contacts? Do you have an interesting hobby or project? A baby? Do you travel a lot? Are you into the news or politics? Do you shop a lot? Pick a topic and don't be shy. The more you post, the more you'll think about blogging, and the more you'll get into the flow.
2. See who reads your blog, add Google Analytics It's really easy, you cut and paste a small snippet of code from Analytics into your blog template and voila! See who visits your blog, where they are from, and which posts are their favorites. See how search engines connect you to your readers. Get Analytics here.
3. Talk about your blog, old school style promotion I've found that I can use my blog as a conversation topic at parties, with friends, at work etc. Now instead of talking about a TV show over the water cooler I'm sharing blogs of interest, and my own blog with people. Believe me, you'll post more often when you know you've told all your friends about your blog.
4. Keep the conversation going, comment and link to other people and websites Don't be a selfish blogger, give a little quid pro quo. Read other peoples blogs and comment as well as you can (don't just drop comments so you can get links back to you). Keep relevant conversations going and make friends you've never met. Link to your blog in Facebook or LinkedIn. Register you blog on Outside.in so your neighbors can find you. More = more online. Have you seen my friend's blog The Breakaway Cook?
5. Turn your snapshots into blog posts Do you like to take a lot of photos? Are you constantly scouring the web for interesting pictures? You actually don't need so write anything. There are a lot of very successful blogs which are more photos than words. Cute Overload is an awesome example of this.