Wednesday, August 3, 2011

A Big Late Summer Birthday Bitch to Tech Recruiters

Every year in August my Gmail starts lighting up with inquiries from recruiters, and hiring managers for contract work, or full time jobs. Although it's awesome to get pinged by Apple, and Netflix (seriously) I am always left scratching my head at this bad timing because EVERYBODY is on vacation in late August. Every year, I do this diplomatic dance for the prospect of work, I feel like I'll get black listed if I don't. And every year I am incredibly frustrated, because as I try to be ever so awesomely accommodating for these positions... I know, just like they know, that EVERYBODY goes on vacation in late August. In fact, everybody knows that half the entire San Francisco Bay Area (including all those recruiters) are off to Burning Man at the end of August.

We ALL KNOW, so why does this silliness continue?

Well let me tell you recruiters something. My birthday is coming up in 2 weeks and it's a big one. The last thing I want to do is check my email let alone get my portfolio ready for somebody's whim. But really, what I want for my big birthday is for ALL recruiters to actually try to accommodate the talent they reach out to. Not just me but for all the engineers, designers, and marketing people too. Please stop asking us to drop everything for the carrot on the end of your stick. Please try to be open and honest. All you have to do is simply communicate better. Other people have lives too, please start acknowledging that when working through your recruitment process.

Added later cause it's relevant:
I thought I'd post this screen grab I took of a tech recruiter I've had the misfortune to cross paths with. About a year after a bungled interview process, for some reason I was still following her on twitter. I was following her, until I read these ignorant tweets. Read the 3rd tweet down. So lame in so many ways.


No comments:

Post a Comment